7/06/2008

Motiv8

Ya gots ta K.I.M. (Keep it Movin'). I was listening to this
SIzzla banner
Sizzla
CD called Reggae Max (I believe it is an import and has 21 tracks on it- bought it @ the Wherehouse). This song Do Some Good came on and got me in a nice mood, helping me stay positive and motivated. It is a compilation CD, so I don't know which Sizzla album this song comes from (and there are a lot of Sizzla albums), but I've never been disappointed with the limited doses that I've sampled. I feel like sitting down to write this is doing some good and it is also practice. Sharpening the tools and sharing my life and passions.
Speaking of sampled, I sampled Sizzla on one of my songs- just a short intro- for my song, dub stylee, on the album Environ Mentalz. That song was inspired by a couple of friends of mine, Sam and Mose...dubbing is a must.
So, my wife Beth and I rode about 20 miles today on our bikes. My motivation is vacation on bicycles in the form of RAGBRAI starting June 20. Hey, Lance Armstrong will be there, so I need to at least feel in shape when I get to ridin 80 mile days. So tomorrow, I will get up and do it again...which brings me to
T-Shirt design by DJ Earl-e
Soul Scribes
, the band I've been playing with for the last 2 years. Before I was in the picture, Sal Lopez had a band with some others, including his brother, Justin. Their band was called Mindshift, and they made only one album in 1999 before the band broke up. Sal brought some of this material into Soul Scribes and adapted it to the new style, members and growth. Noisemaking 101 was released in March of 2007, and just as we started gaining momentum and making a buzz in L.A. and elsewhere, our MC, Phil "UP" Benjamin, in June 2008, made a difficult personal decision to leave the band and follow his heart elsewhere. Since then, Justin Lopez has joined Soul Scribes full time, and I fully expect Prose to continue to collaborate with the band and put his sound into the Soul Scribes mix. So, will this song get the hat trick?

Mindshift- Do It Again(1999)
Soul Scribes- Do It Again (2007)