7/17/2008

Funky Gem- 24 Karat Black

24 Karat Black
24 Karat Black Theme


Photobucket

I don't know exactly how to classify this..do you call it jazz, funk or soul? All I know is that it is a groove and a half. I picked up this record in the fall of '94, when I had moved back to Iowa from a 3 month stay in San Diego. This compilation has a few classic gems on it including :The Three Pieces- Backed Up Against the Wall, Blackbyrd's - Wilford's Gone, and Gary Bartz- Celestial Blues are my favorites.
These tracks were taken from the vaults of Fantasy Records, which absorbed some other labels including Stax, Riverside, Prestige, and then was absorbed by some larger label.
24 Karat Black was a group of studio musicians, headed by Dale Warren, that sat in sessions with the likes of Issac Hayes, the Bar-Kays, and others on the Stax/Volt label.