7/02/2008

A Hip-Hop Gem - Diamond D

Starting my new blog in the month of July, my birth month, I was thinking of rubies (the gemstone of July). Since this is my month, I have decided to drop a few gems on ya'... Number 1:

Diamond and the Psychotic Neurotics
Stunts, Blunts and Hip-hop



Diamond D (rumor had it that he dropped the "D" over legal rights to the name or something) was the first to call himself "the best producer on the mic." This was one of my top 5 albums of 1992. The title track, Stunts, Blunts, and Hip-hop is pretty self explanatory...and having just turned 21 at the release of this album, you may understand my fascination with the song... and album. Great, simple, bass driven hip-hop (this track samples the Buddy Miles Experiment- more on that later) with catchy hooks. The epitome of 1992. Favorite lines: "give us a kick like a football punt,/ so much money has been spunt./Much, much more than Donald Trump's./I hope my boom spot doesn't get bumped./ As I listen to Thelonius Monk," Click below to listen:
Photobucket